Ciudad del Este was founded on February 3, 1957 and the city has about 300,000 inhabitants. 20 km from Puerto Iguazu and across from Foz do Iguaçu in Brazil on the other side of the Paraná River, Ciudad del Este is in Paraguay. It has one of the largest shopping centres in Latin America with an international emphasis.
There are thousands of shops selling electronics, toys, clothes, drinks and more; all imported from producers in Asia, Europe and North America.
- Leave hotel in Puerto Iguazú for Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil, across the Fraternity Bridge, which connects Argentina with Brazil over the Iguassu River.
- Cross from Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil to Ciudad del Este, Paraguay through the Friendship Bridge, which connects Brazil to Paraguay over the Paraná River. (Approximately one hour, depending on the traffic on the bridges).
- Back to hotel or next destination of the visitor.
- Goods purchased have to be declared by the visitor by completing the Statement of Accompanied Baggage (DBA) and presenting it for customs supervision.
- Purchases of up to US$300 are tax-free; anything overer this value, 50% of the surplus is to be paid.
- Visitors should possess documents of identification, for example, passports.